Prof. Dr. Isaac Kalimi
Gutenberg-Research Professor of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies and History of Ancient Israel
- Post-Doctoral Studies, Theological Faculty, Ruprecht-Karls University of Heidelberg (1989-90)
- Ph.D. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Biblical Studies and Ancient Israelite History and Religion (1986-89, received: 1990)
- Graduate Studies Biblical Literature and History, Poetics and Ancient Near Eastern Studies, Hebrew University and Tel-Aviv University (1982-84)
- M.A. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, History of the Jewish People (Ancient Periods; graduated magna cum laude; 1977-78)
- Teacher‘s Diploma Hebrew Bible, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem / School of Education (1976-77)
- B.A. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Hebrew Bible and History of the Jewish People (graduated magna cum laude; 1974-76)
Ausgewählte Auszeichnungen, Ehrungen & Preise
- 2015 Foreign (/ Corresponding) Member of Belgian Royal Academy for Overseas Sciences, Section of Human Sciences.
- 2015 Honorary Member of Scandinavian Society for Iranian Studies (SSIS; Scandinavian Society for Iranian Studies).
- 2014/15 Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study, Uppsala, Sweden.
- 2013 Gutenberg Forschungskolleg Fellowship, Johannes Gutenberg-University, Mainz.
- 2013 Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts (Institute for Advanced Study Fellowship, Brussels, Belgium).
- 2012 The Franz-Delitzsch-Research-Award 2012 (Germany).
- 2010/11 The J.W. Fulbright Distinguished Chair Award to the University of Salzburg, Austria.
- 2008 Zvi and Matilda Roifer Prize for 2008 Annual Lecture, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Beer-Sheva, Israel).
- 2007/08 National Endowment for the Humanities (USA) – a grant to conduct research at the Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, Jerusalem.
- 2006 R.B.Y. Scott Book Award (The Reshaping of Ancient Israelite History…), by the Canadian Society of Biblical Studies in “recognition of an outstanding book in the areas of Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East.”
- 2004 Case Western Reserve University Library Award for “Building of a Collection in Biblical and Rabbinic Literatures” (Cleveland, USA).
- Hebrew Bible/Old Testament (Religion, Literature, Languages, Exegesis and Theology)
- Ancient Israelite/Jewish History, Historiography, Religion and Culture
- Second Temple Judaism History, Religion, Thought and Literature
- Classical Rabbinic and Medieval Exegesis and Literature
- Jewish-Christian Relations
- History of Interpretation
- King Solomon: The Man and the Myth – His Birth, Rise, and Temple-Building in Ancient Israelite Historiography.
- Jews, Christians, and the Book of Esther: Self-Identification and Judeophobia in Biblically Oriented Societies
- Agony in Death: Punishment for Arrogant Rulers in the Ancient Near Eastern and Mediterranean Cultures
- The Book of Malachai: A Commentary (Hermeneia Commentary Series; Fortress Press).
- Historical Commentary on the Second Book of Kings (HCOT; Leuven: Peeters).
- Historical Commentary on the Second Book of Chronicles (HCOT; Leuven: Peeters).
- Hebrew Bible Critical Edition: The Book of Nehemiah (HBCE; Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- 2015 – Present, American Schools of Oriental Research
- 2013 – Present, European Society of Jewish Studies
- 2010 – Present, Chicago Society of Biblical Research
- 2004 – Present, Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
- 1995 – Present, Société d’Études Samaritaines
- 1994 – Present, Association for Jewish Studies
- 1993 – Present, Active member of The Catholic Biblical Association of America
- 1992 – Present, International Organization for the Study of the Old Testament
- 1989 – Present, Society of Biblical Literature
5. Publikationen (in Auswahl)
Fighting Over the Bible: Jewish Interpretation and Polemic from Temple to Talmud and Beyond (Brill Reference Library of Judaism 54; Leiden and Boston: E. J. Brill, 2017), xi + 330 pages, in press.
This book was the subject of a Round Table Discussion at The Catholic Biblical
Association of America, 79th Annual International Meeting in Santa Clara University
(Santa Clara, CA; August 7, 2016).
- Das Chronikbuch und seine Chronik: Zur Entstehung und Rezeption eines biblischen Buches (Fuldaer Studien 17; Freiburg i.B. / Basel / Wien: Herder Verlag, 2013), 7 illustrations + xiv + 247 pages.
- The Retelling of Chronicles in Jewish Tradition and Literature: A Historical Journey (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2009), 7 illustrations + xx + 395 pages. This book was the subject of a symposia at the SBL Annual International Meeting in Atlanta (Georgia; November 22, 2010). The papers as well as my response were published in Review of Rabbinic Judaism 16 (2013), pp. 51-87. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WJRQU.HTM
- The Reshaping of Ancient Israelite History in Chronicles (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2005), xiv + 473 pages. Reprinted (corrected, paperback), 2012. This book was the recipient of the 2006 R.B.Y. Scott Award, which is awarded annually by the Canadian Society of Biblical Studies “in recognition of an outstanding book in the areas of Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East.” https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WKBG1.HTM
- An Ancient Israelite Historian: Studies in the Chronicler, His Time, Place, and Writing (Studia Semitica Neerlandica 46; Assen: Royal Van Gorcum [now under: E.J. Brill, Leiden], 2005), x + 212 pages. This book was the subject of a symposia at the AAR/SBL Annual International Meeting in San Antonio (Texas; November 21, 2004). The papers as well as my response were published in the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 6 (2006), pp. 1-64. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WEID5.HTM
- A revised Polish version: Starożytny historyk izraelski. Studium na temat Kronikarza, jego czasu, miejsca i pism (Cracow: Nomos Press, 2016), in press.
- Early Jewish Exegesis and Theological ControversyStudies in Scriptures in the Shadow of Internal and External Controversies (Jewish and Christian Heritage 2; Assen: Royal Van Gorcum [now under: E.J. Brill, Leiden], 2002), 8 illustrations + xvii + 209 pages. The book was the subject of a symposia at Case Western Reserve University and the Sixteenth Annual Midwest Jewish Studies Colloquium (May 2, 2004), a special “Study Day” in honor of the publication of this book. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WKS7S.HTM
- The Book of Chronicles - Historical Writing and Literary Devices (The Biblical Encyclopedia Library XVIII; Jerusalem: Bialik Institute, 2000), 4 illustrations + xxi + 477 pages (Hebrew). https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WLL3A.HTM
- Zur Geschichtsschreibung des Chronisten: Literarisch-historiographische Abweichungen der Chronik von ihren Paralleltexten in den Samuel- und Königsbüchern (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft [= BZAW] 226; Berlin & New York: Walter de Gruyter, 1995), ix + 400 pages.
- The Books of Chronicles: A Classified Bibliography(Simor Bible Bibliographies 1; Jerusalem: Simor, 1990), xvii + 230 pages. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WLYIS.HTM
- Bridging between Sister Religions: Studies in Jewish and Christian Scriptures Offered to Honor Prof. John Townsend (edited; Brill Reference Library of Judaism 51; Leiden and Boston: E. J. Brill, 2016), xviii + 340 pages
- Sennacherib at the Gate of Jerusalem: Story, History and Historiography (Culture and History of the Ancient Near East 71; Leiden and Boston: E.J. Brill, 2014; edited with S. Richardson).
- Scriptural Authority in Early Judaism and Ancient Christianity (edited with T. Nicklas and G.G. Xeravits; Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies 16; Berlin and New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2013).
- New Perspectives on Ezra-Nehemiah: History and Historiography, Text and Literature (Editor; Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2012), xvi + 296 pp. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WMBT3.HTM
- Jewish Bible Theology: Perspectives and Case Studies (Editor; Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2012), xiii + 276 pages. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WMXXY.HTM
- Biblical Interpretation in Judaism and Christianity(LHB/OTS 439; London and New York: T. & T. Clark, 2006; edited with P.J. Haas), xiv + 265 pages. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WGLOY.HTM
- God’s Word for Our World: Volume I - Biblical Studies in Honor of Simon John DeVries (JSOT Suppl. 388; London and New York: T. & T. Clark International, 2004; edited with J.H. & D.L. Ellens and R.P. Knierim); xvi+403 pages. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WQ37O.HTM
- God’s Word for Our World: Volume II - Theological and Cultural Studies in Honor of Simon John DeVries(JSOT Suppl. 389; London and New York: T. & T. Clark International, 2004; edited with J.H. & D.L. Ellens and R.P. Knierim); xiv+301 pages. https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_3WD0WQE0K.HTM
- Edut beYehosef: Studies in Jewish Heritage Dedicated to Joseph Roth-Rotem (Editor-in-Chief; Kefar-Saba, Israel: Beit Berl College - Center for Jewish Culture, 2003; Hebrew and English sections); xi + 200 pages.
- Senior Editor, The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Ethics (Oxford University Press)
- Associate Editor of the Catholic Biblical Quarterly (CBQ)
- Associate Editor, Old Testament Abstracts (OTA)
- Editorial Board, Review of Rabbinic Judaism: Ancient, Medieval and Modern (RRJ; E.J. Brill, Leiden)
- Editorial Board, Hebrew Studies Journal (HS; National Association of Professors of Hebrew)
- Regular Reviewer, Journal of Near Eastern Studies, The Oriental Institute, the University of Chicago
- Editorial Board, Shofar – An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Ind. (2004-2010)